Thursday, June 18, 2009

lest we forget

How could I ever forget the day you came into my life? Your mother dropped you off last and what a mite you were... The moment I laid my eyes on you I was hooked. Your clear green eyes and your wide mouth melted this ole heart of mine. You were cute and to think that it was what 7 years ago.

Anyway, I tried to pick you up when you were about 3 weeks old and, man, was your mother angry! She hissed and hussed her at me - eyes shooting fire bolts and shooting stars ..... "hey I only want to cuddle your baby up" I said.... 'dirty old man' that's what her eyes were saying.....

Fast forward last 3 years, and I could see that you had left your mark on the world.... so many ginger haired kids around the neighbourhood..... so that explains your absence from home. You were out gallivanting and partying around the neighbourhood. Funny though you were never the fighter always the lovey dovey type and man, could you purr your way into my family's heart.

I must admit that I neglected to take care off you lately, what with my busy schedule and my work related matters. I could only see you around mid night that too when I see you scrambling up the road to greet me exiting from the car. Hey, I must admit that your greetings were sometimes heart warming and heart renderingly fresh. You did not impose on me anything nor did you want anything from me, just a pat on the head and a scrub on your belly and that's it.

and when I called for you, even in the middle of the night - lo and behold there you were, waving and scrambling to come. There were times in your haste that you were nearly runned over by the traffic but hey you had nimbleness as your middle name.

No histronics or drama from you. You were pleased that I came back ... that's it....full stop.

and now I will miss you. You decided three days ago that you had to move on, you could no longer stay on this side of the world. You tried to tell me but I could see that your lips just could not move and that you looked terribly beaten down. You looked like you were saying your goodbyes to all your relatives and off springs in the neighbourhood.

and ..... this morning, I find you at your favourite resting place... not a stirr and not a sound.

My touch now fails to excite you and I find that you have gone. You must have tried to come in as I can see your prone body facing the door.

So Ginger, if cats do go to heaven - I will be seeing you there - if not then you will always have a place in my heart.


to my tom cat Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment